Lupus is an autoimmune disease (a disease where the immune system attacks the body) and causes inflammation and damage to various body tissues. Lupus can damage year heart, lungs, skin, joints, brain, kidneys and blood vessels. There is no cure for lupus, however, the disease can be managed with medication. On Friday May 16th Lupus.org is encouraging people to “Put On Purple” to generate awareness about the disease. Here’s more info from their website:
- Ask your friends, family, coworkers and employer to Put on Purple onFriday, May 16, 2014 to help raise awareness of lupus and show support for those living with the disease.
- Wear purple proudly and tell people why!
- Everyone is encouraged to wear their purple lupus awareness wristband. If you don’t have one, you can purchase the wristbands at shoplupus.org. Note that the wristbands are sold in packages of 10, so consider purchasing for friends and family as well. Plan ahead to ensure you receive them in time! You can also purchase wristbands directly at our Connecticut Chapter office in Farmington or at any of our upcoming events!
- Consider organizing office-wide or company-wide participation. May 16 is on a Friday.
- Take pictures of your participation and share them with others!
- Send your pictures to the Lupus Foundation of America atPutOnPURPLE@lupus.org or email@example.com.
- Post photos on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #PutOnPurple. Also, follow us on Twitter @ctlupus and Instagram @ctlfa!
- Send pictures to your social networks, along with details about how you Put On Purple for lupus awareness to help solve the cruel mystery of the disease.
If you, your family, your school or your office would like to fully participate CLICK HERE.