For the past month or so I have been feeling the urge to do something dramatic, in the sense of fashion of course. Three years ago I did a big chop and started wearing braids about a year and a half ago to avoid dealing with my hair in that “awkward” in between stage (as I refer to it). I’ve tried to stay away from weaves since it requires me to straighten my hair and has caused heat damage in the past. After wearing braids for so long I’ve been really bored with my look. I knew that I did not have the money to do the things that I’ve wanted to do but I desperately wanted to spice things up. Much to my joy I have come into a new employment endeavor that will allow me to reinvent myself but I realized that there are a lot of things that I could have been doing while I was waiting for the finances to support my reinvention. Here are a few tips that will help you reinvent yourself.
1. Don’t be afraid to try something different: “This color doesn’t look nice on me”, “I’ve never worn this cut before” or “I don’t think that will look good on me” are all phrases that belong in the past. Try new things, decide what you like and what you don’t like and go from there, just don’t be afraid to try new things.
2. Decided what you want to look like: Browse the internet, fashion photos and create a folder or board of all the style that you like. Then go through what you like and decide what you want to look like because just because you like a style does not mean that its a great style for you. Once you have a clear understanding of what you want to look like shopping will be easier.
3. Use old pieces in a new way: Reinventing yourself does not always require an entire change in your wardrobe. Look at what you have and try to wear it in a different way. Make it a goal to never to wear the same outfit twice.
4. Accessories: Getting new jewelry, scarves and handbags can make even old pieces look new. Do little things like painting you nails to add little accents to your outfits
5. Hair! Changing your hairstyle is the number one way to reinvent yourself. Save up a couple of dollars and go to a hair salon that you trust or have heard good reviews about. Check out a couple of hairstyles and decide which one best fits your new style and go for it. Keep in mind when it comes to hair many hairstyles are long term, so if you want to cut it off just consider that you will not be able to quickly change it.
Reinventing yourself is not the easiest thing to do however with proper planning it is worth it and can give you confidence you need to change other areas in your life.